A healthy diet is essential for good health and well being. When we are looking for foods we should always focus on vegetables and fruits, low fat protein, whole grains and low fat dairy products. Majority of the people do not consume the required amount of nutritional products which pushes them towards many ailments. To meet these nutritional values in the food one should choose a variety of foods from each food group. In addition to this one can limit the consumption of saturated fats, sugars and cholesterol. One needs to take care of the quality of food which is an essential factor.
The main types of healthy foods are:
- Vegetables: According to one of the agriculture departments in the United States one should consume around 2 cups of vegetables every day. One should ideally include orange, red and leafy green vegetables in the diet. Add flavours like vinegar, lemon and spices without the addition of fat or sodium. One can take raw vegetables in the form of snacks. Vegetables prove to be good for digestion as they contain high amount of fibre. If one starts consuming vegetables in place of normal food it would be beneficial especially in maintain the body weight and the texture of the skin. More over vegetables fulfil the body with the required amount of water necessary for the normal functioning of the body. Vegetables like potatoes are a good source of starch and energy.
- Fruit: Fruit is a good source of Potassium, Fibre, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. An ideal diet may involve two cups of fruit per day which is good enough for four servings. One should try to eat fresh fruits as they do not have any added sweetners.This may include apple, bananas and berries. One should prefer to eat whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice. Fruits like lemon play an important role in losing the body weight and that too in an effective manner.
- Whole Grains: Ideally half of the grains we eat should be whole grains. The best thing about the whole grain is the presence of nutrients as they do not have their bran and germ removed. Ideally six servings of grain are recommended. This can include whole wheat bread, oat meal, whole wheat pasta and barley. Whole grains are high in fibre content which is good for the internal system of the body. The fibres present in these foods further help in the proper circulation of the digestive system. As a result one does not suffer from problems arising due to constipation.
- Protein: One should concentrate on lean protein sources. This could be found in foods like boneless and skinless chicken, beans, fish and eggs. An ideal example of a protein rich food is snacks with peanut butter with apple or cheese.
- Low fat dairy products: One should consume around three servings of dairy products on a daily basis. This is found in foods like low fat yoghurt, skimmed milk and reduced fat cheese . Dairy products are ideal in Potassium, Protein and calcium which are a must for good health. One should limit the use of high fat dairy products like milk and cream.